Thank you for your commitment to becoming a Lead Steward. Each site has one or more Lead Stewards who are responsible for maintaining the natural environment based on protocols and best practices which will be outlined in the curriculum and easily available to you in the field via your mobile device. You will each be able to lead a group of up to 10 volunteer stewards and are responsible for organizing, training, communicating with and inspiring them. It is important that you complete a form called the Work Log after each session. This is a reporting requirement from the City.
Feel free to connect at any time with other Lead Stewards to share your challenges and success stories. There will be events planned throughout the year to share learnings and network with the TNS stewardship community.
All LSIT’s will be able to access a special section of the TNS website and documents on the Google Drive called Lead Stewards Drive (TNS) using a login with the email address you registered with. If you have a gmail address, access can be easier. Please Note: all of the pages in this section are visible only to Lead Stewards and LSITs.
Training (Jan to March) Wednesday evenings 7 to 9 pm.
These Zoom sessions will be recorded. The breakout sessions will not be recorded
Link to live sessions https://utoronto.zoom.us/j/86941142736
|Jan 11, 2023||1. Orientation||How the program works|
Introduction to the people
|Jan 25, 2023||2. Know your site (part 1)||Site selection & assessment|
|Feb 8, 2023||3. Know your site (part 2)||Executing stewardship plan (Day of)|
Reporting & Monitoring
|Feb 22, 2023||4. Know your people||Recruitment & Managing people|
|Mar 8, 2023||5. Know your plants||Bradley method|
Removal & disposal of invasive plants
|April 30, 2023||In-person Field Trip||On-site visit|
Find it Fast
Resources from around the site, compiled to help you do more, quickly.
Class Files (log into website first)
- Getting ready for training
- 2023 Class files folder
- Class slides & Recordings
- Invasive Plant Information Sheets
- Class 1 followup and links
- Class 2 invite and links
- Class 2 Recording and Assignment
- Aid with Mapping Sites and Management Units (MUs)
- Class 3 Readings
- Class 3 Recording, Assignment and Class 4 Readings
- Class 4 Recording, Assignment and Class 5 Readings
Uploading an assignment?
- Rename your file to “Yourname_Class x – Assignment name”. Include your name and site in the actual file. Photos should be inserted into a document with descriptions.
- Upload your assignment through this link